The Jones Family

Friday, September 21, 2007

Cooking 101

Ok so Erin and I have this thing where on Monday and Tuesday nights Ryan and I are in charge of dinner and Wednesday and Thurday nights Erin and Jeramy are in charge of dinner, then the rest of the week were on our own because it seems like one of us always has plans! So far its been really fun and it makes it more exciting to cook so its not just for two people! I hate to brag, but we have both done some really tasty things! Sometimes I have to get creative on the nights that I work till 8pm. I don't want everybody to starve to death!! So Pat, the pharmacist I work with,let me borrow his crock pot cook book! I found some yummy recipes in it!! Plus I found that I like cooking just (ok not just as much!) as much baking! I wanted to share with everybody3 yummy recipes so that you can cook dinner with doing the minimal amount of cooking!
For dinner:
Crockpot Meatloaf
2lbs hamburger
2/3 quick oats
1/2 c. catsup
2 eggs
1pkg. onion soup mix

Combine all but 2 Tblsp. of catsup-shape and place in crock-pot. Top with remaining catsup. Cook on low 8-10 hours or on high 4-6 hours

or I have another good one, that takes a regular chuck roast but adds a different flavor!

Beef Chuckroast
1 lg. chuckroast
1 c. brown sugar
1 bottler teriyaki sauce
water

In crock pot add roast, brown sugar and teryiaki sauce. Cover roast with water. Cook all day 8-10 hours on low. serves 5 people.

For dessert: (we made this last sunday and it was a huge hit, I think after doubling the recipe it was gone in like 20 minutes!!)

Chocolate Mud Cake
1 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. butter
1/3 c. semi sweet chocolate chips
1 c. sugar (divied)
1/2 c. cocoa, divided
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 c. milk
1 egg yolk
1/3 c. brown sugar
1 & 1/2 c. hot water

First spary the crock pot with cooking spray. Mix the flour and baking powder together and set aside. Melt chocolate chips and butter in large bowl. Wisk in 2/3 c. of the sugar and 3 Tbsp. of the cocoa, vanilla, salt, milk, and egg yolk. Mix well. Add the flour mixture and mix well. (will still be a little lumpy.) pour batter into crock pot and spread evenly. Mix remaining sugar and cocoa with brown sugar and hot water. Mix until sugars are dissolved, pour over batter. DO NOT stir! Cook on low for 1-2 hours. Turn off and let sit for about 25 minutes. Serve hot with ice cream! So choclatey and yummy!!
Ok now you all have to try these easy, not very time consuming recipes and tell me how they turned out!! Thanks Erin I have fun cooking "with" you!!!!

5 comments:

Erin Tarwater said...

yay! Cooking is fun!

Britttany said...

you will have to let me know what time you are eating on monday, because i want some of that meatloaf casserole... yum, yum! yes your chocolate cake in the crockpot was a huge hit! your an excellent cook, i need to take some lessons.

Tina said...

so, the cake recipe is the one you had at granny's two Sunday's ago, right? Also, when you cook the meatloaf, does it brown the hamburger? I usually cook it in the oven, so it gets really brown on top, so I'm worried my kids might turn up their noses, if it didn't look close to the same! Thanks Brianne, can't wait to try them!

Tina said...

ok, never mind, if i would have READ the whole thing the first time through I would have seen that it WAS the one you made for granny's. duh!

Monroe Family said...

Yay I am glad you guys figured out how to change your background!! I couldn't remember which blog I got the link off of until Lindsay said something. Cute cute!